How To Make THC Gummy Bears: A Complete Guide For The Cannabis Sweet Tooth!
If you love gummies and cannabis, you might be wondering how to make your own cannabis gummies at home. Cannabis gummies are edible candies that contain tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive compound in cannabis that makes you feel high. They are a popular and discreet way to consume cannabis, especially for people who don’t like smoking or vaping.
In this blog post, we will show you how to make THC gummy bears from scratch, using decarboxylated cannabis, cannabis oil, gelatin, and sugar. We will also explain how to store, dose, and enjoy your homemade candy safely and responsibly.
1. The First Step to making Weed Gummies Is to Make Your Own Cannabis Infused Oil
Cannabis-infused coconut oil is a versatile and easy-to-make product that can be used for cooking, baking, or topical applications.
To make it, you will need the following ingredients and equipment:
- Coconut oil (you can choose unrefined, refined, or MCT oil depending on your preference)
- Cannabis (you can use flower, trim, or shake depending on your budget and availability)
- A grinder
- A baking sheet
- An oven
- A slow cooker or a double boiler
- A cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer
- A glass jar or a container
The potency of your cannabis coconut oil depends on the ratio of coconut oil to the cannabis you use. A common ratio is one cup of coconut oil for every 7-10 grams of cannabis. However, you can adjust this ratio based on your desired strength and tolerance level.
Before you infuse your coconut oil with cannabis, you need to decarboxylate your cannabis first. Decarboxylation is a process that activates the cannabinoids in cannabis, such as THC and CBD, by exposing them to heat. These cannabinoids are what produce the effects of cannabis on your body and mind.
To decarboxylate cannabis, follow these steps:
1. Preheat your oven to 240°F (115°C). This is the optimal temperature for decarboxylation, as it preserves the terpenes and flavonoids that give cannabis its aroma and flavor.
2. Grind your cannabis buds using a grinder or scissors. You want to achieve a coarse texture, not too fine or too chunky. This will ensure even heating and decarboxylation of the cannabis.
3. Spread the chopped cannabis evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure there are no clumps or gaps in the layer of cannabis.
4. Bake the cannabis for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The cannabis will turn from green to brown as it decarboxylates. You may notice a strong smell during this process, so you may want to ventilate your kitchen or use an air filter.
5. Let the cannabis cool down before using it for your infusion. You can store the decarboxylated cannabis in an airtight container for up to six months.
If you are using decarboxylated cannabis, you can skip this step and proceed with the infusion.
To Infuse Your Coconut Oil with Cannabis, Follow these Steps:
1. Measure your coconut oil and cannabis according to your desired potency. You can use a ratio of 1:1 for a strong oil, or 2:1 or 3:1 for a milder oil.
2. Place them in a slow cooker or a double boiler. A slow cooker is preferred as it maintains a steady temperature and prevents scorching.
3. Heat your mixture on low for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Do not let the temperature go above 245°F (118°C), as this can degrade the cannabinoids and terpenes in the cannabis. You can use a thermometer to check the temperature periodically.
4. Turn off the heat and let your mixture cool slightly. Be careful not to burn yourself as the oil will be very hot.
5. Strain your mixture through a cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer into a glass jar or a container, squeezing out as much oil as possible. You can use gloves or tongs to handle the cheesecloth or strainer. The oil will be greenish in color and have a herbal aroma.
6. Discard the leftover plant material or save it for other purposes. You can use it to make tea, compost, or edibles. However, be aware that it will have less potency than the oil.
2. How to Make THC Gummy Bears Step-by-Step
Now that you have your cannabis oil ready, you can make your weed gummy bears. Gummy bears are made with gelatin, water, sugar, and flavoring. You can use any type of gelatin or flavoring you like, such as unflavored gelatin, flavored gelatin, fruit juice, or candy molds.
You will need:
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of honey: This adds sweetness and flavor to the gummies. You can also use other sweeteners such as agave nectar or maple syrup.
- 3 tablespoons of gelatin
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract: This enhances the flavor of the gummies and complements the honey. You can also use other extracts such as lemon, orange, or mint.
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Food coloring (optional): This adds color to the gummies and makes them more appealing. You can use natural food coloring or artificial ones depending on your preference.
- THC oil (the amount depends on your desired dosage and potency)
- Gummy molds
- Whisk or spoon
Follow these Steps:
1. In a small saucepan over low heat, whisk together the water and honey until well combined. This will create a syrupy liquid that will form the base of the gummies.
2. Sprinkle the gelatin over the mixture and let it sit for a few minutes to bloom. This means that the gelatin will absorb some of the liquid and become soft and swollen.
3. Stir the gelatin mixture until it dissolves completely and becomes smooth. You may need to increase the heat slightly to help it melt but do not let it boil or it may lose its gelling properties.
4. Add the vanilla extract, salt, and food coloring if using, and stir well. You can also add other flavorings or additives such as citric acid, fruit juice, or herbs at this point.
5. Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool slightly. Do not let it cool too much or it may start to set before you pour it into the mold.
6. Add the infused oil and stir well to incorporate. Make sure to measure it carefully and follow the dosage instructions on the label. You can also use a dropper or a syringe to add precise amounts to each gummy if you prefer.
7. Pour the mixture into a silicone mold of your choice and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Silicone molds are ideal for making gummies because they are flexible and easy to pop out. You can use any shape or size of the mold you like, such as bears, hearts, stars, or letters.
8. Pop out the gummies from the mold and enjoy!
3: How To Make Infused Sugar to Coat Gummies Step-by-Step
If you want to add some extra sweetness and crunch to your THC-infused or regular gummies, you can coat them with infused sugar. Infused sugar is sugar that has been mixed with cannabis oil and then dried. It adds a nice touch of flavor and potency to your edibles.
To make infused sugar, you will need the following ingredients and equipment:
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of cannabis-infused oil
- A baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- A fork
Follow these steps to make infused sugar:
1. Preheat your oven to 200°F (93°C).
2. In a small bowl, toss together the sugar and the cannabis oil until well coated.
3. Spread the mixture evenly on the baking sheet and cook it for about an hour, stirring occasionally with a fork, until the sugar is dry and crumbly.
4. Let the infused sugar cool completely and then use it to coat your gummies by rolling them in sugar before or after they set.
And now it’s time to enjoy your sweet and potent treats!
How to Store Weed Gummies Bears Correctly?
To keep your weed gummies fresh and potent for longer, you need to store them correctly. Here are some tips:
- Store them in an airtight container or ziplock bag to keep them from getting in contact with the air.
- Store them in a cool and dark place away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
- Refrigerate or freeze them if you want them to last longer than a few weeks.
- Label them clearly and keep them out of reach of children and pets.
How Do I Calculate the Potency of My Batch of Gummies?
One of the most important things to know when making edibles is how potent they are. This will help you dose them properly and avoid unpleasant side effects such as paranoia, anxiety, or nausea. To calculate the potency of your batch of marijuana gummies, you need to know two things: how much marijuana oil you used and how much THC was in the marijuana that you used to make it. Here is a simple formula to estimate the potency of your batch:
THC per gram of marijuana x grams of marijuana used x milliliters of coconut oil/milliliters of coconut oil used = THC per milliliter of marijuana oil. For example, if you used 7 grams of marijuana with 15% THC and 60 ml of coconut oil: 15 x 7 x 60 / 60 = 15 mg/ml.
This means that every milliliter of your marijuana oil contains about 15 mg of THC. To find out how much THC is in each gummy bear, you need to divide the total amount of THC in your batch by the number of gummies you made. For example, if you used 60 ml of marijuana oil and made 100 gummies: 15 x 60 / 100 = 9 mg/gummy. This means that each gummy bear contains about 9 mg of THC.
Of course, this is only an estimate based on averages and assumptions. The actual potency may vary depending on several factors such as the quality and strain of your marijuana, the accuracy of your measurements, and the efficiency of your extraction process. The best way to know for sure is to test your edibles in a lab or use a home testing kit.
How to Dose Weed Gummies Bears?
Once you know how potent your cannabis gummy edibles are, you can dose them according to your preference and tolerance level. The effects of edibles vary from person to person depending on factors such as body weight, metabolism, experience level, mood state, etc. As a general rule of thumb:
• Start low: If you are new to marijuana edibles or have a low tolerance level, start with one gummy bear or less.
• Go slow: Don’t take another dose until at least two hours have passed since your first one. This will give you time to feel the effects and decide if you want more. Marijuana edibles take longer than smoking or vaping to kick in because they have to be digested and absorbed by your bloodstream. The effects can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to onset, depending on your metabolism and what you ate before.
• Be patient: Marijuana edibles take longer than smoking or vaping to kick in, but they also last longer. The effects can last up to 8 hours or more, depending on your dose and tolerance level. Don’t take more than you can handle and be prepared for a long-lasting high. You may also experience some residual effects the next day, such as grogginess or impaired coordination.
• Be safe: Do not drive or operate heavy machinery while under the influence of marijuana as it can impair your judgment, reaction time, and motor skills. Do not mix marijuana edibles with alcohol or other drugs, as this can increase the risk of adverse effects and overdoses, and do not consume them if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as this can harm your baby’s development.
What Are the Possible Side Effects of Using THC Gummies Bears?
Cannabis edibles can offer a range of benefits, such as pain relief, relaxation, and mood enhancement. However, they can also have some side effects if consumed in excess or by sensitive individuals. Some of the common side effects are:
- Dry mouth: This is caused by the inhibition of saliva production by THC, the main psychoactive compound in cannabis, and can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Dry eyes: This is also caused by THC-reducing tear production, and can cause irritation, redness, and blurred vision.
- Drowsiness: This can impair your ability to work, drive, or perform other tasks that require alertness.
- Dizziness: This is a result of the changes in blood pressure and blood flow to the brain caused by THC. Dizziness can make you feel lightheaded, faint, or nauseous.
- Anxiety: This can manifest as nervousness, panic, or fear.
- Paranoia: This is an extreme form of anxiety that can make you feel suspicious, distrustful, or persecuted by others.
- Increased heart rate: This can cause palpitations, chest pain, or shortness of breath.
- Impaired memory: This is a cognitive effect of THC that can affect your short-term and long-term memory. Impaired memory can make you forgetful, confused, or disoriented
- Impaired coordination: THC can interfere with your motor skills and affect how you control your body. This can result in clumsiness, poor balance, and difficulty with movement.
If you want to enjoy some delicious and potent gummies at home, you can easily make them yourself with our simple weed gummy recipe. All you need are some basic ingredients that you can find in any grocery store and some cannabis oil.
By following our step-by-step instructions, you can create your own delicious candies in no time and customize them to your liking. And now all you have to do is eat them and enjoy their effects!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Marijuana edibles are foods or drinks that contain cannabinoids, such as THC, which can cause a high or euphoric feeling. Edibles are different from smoking or vaping in terms of how they affect the body and how long they last. Edibles take longer to kick in, but they also last longer and may feel more intense.
The effects of edibles can vary depending on several factors, such as the type, potency, and amount of edibles consumed, as well as the person’s metabolism, body weight, and food intake. In general, edibles can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to start working, and they can last for 6 hours or more. Some research suggests that hard candies or suckers may have a faster onset of 15-45 minutes, while other edibles may take up to 3 hours to kick in.
Edibles are slow to produce effects because they have to go through the digestive system before reaching the bloodstream. During this process, THC is converted into a more potent form called 11-hydroxy-THC, which can cross the blood-brain barrier more easily and cause stronger effects than smoking or vaping THC.
Because of the delayed and variable onset of edibles, it is important to start with a low dose and wait for at least 2-3 hours before taking more or using other cannabis products. Taking too many edibles can cause unpleasant side effects, such as anxiety, paranoia, nausea, or drowsiness. Edibles can also interact with some medications or health conditions, so it is advisable to consult a doctor before using them.
Like any other food product, weed gummy bears can expire over time. The shelf life of weed gummy bears depends on several factors, such as the ingredients, the packaging, the storage conditions, and the potency of the cannabis.
In general, weed gummy bears can last for several months if they are stored in a cool, dark, and dry place, away from heat, light, and moisture. However, if they are exposed to high temperatures, humidity, or sunlight, they can degrade faster and lose their flavor, texture, and potency. Additionally, weed gummy bears can become contaminated with mold or bacteria if they are not sealed properly or if they come into contact with water or other substances.
Therefore, it is important to check the expiration date on the package and inspect the gummy bears for any signs of spoilage before consuming them. If the gummy bears look or smell bad, have changed color or shape, or have developed a fuzzy or slimy coating, they should be discarded immediately.
Consuming expired or spoiled weed gummy bears can cause adverse effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and reduced effects of THC.
THC and CBD gummies are both edibles that contain cannabinoids, chemical compounds that interact with the endocannabinoid system in the human body. This system is responsible for regulating various functions, such as mood, pain, appetite, and sleep. However, they have different effects on the user, depending on the amount and type of cannabinoids they contain.
THC-infused Gummies contain tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the main psychoactive component of cannabis. They can produce euphoria, relaxation, impaired perception, and increased appetite. They can also cause side effects, such as anxiety, paranoia, dry mouth, and impaired memory and coordination.
CBD-infused gummies contain cannabidiol (CBD), which is a non-psychoactive component of cannabis. They may have various health benefits, such as reducing inflammation, pain, seizures, anxiety, and depression. They can also counteract some of the negative effects of THC, such as paranoia and anxiety.
To make gummy bears infused with CBD, you will need the following ingredients and supplies:
- 1/2 cup of fruit juice
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of gelatin
- 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid
- 1/4 cup of CBD oil
- A gummy bear mold
- A small saucepan
- A whisk
1. In a small saucepan over low heat, whisk together the fruit juice, honey, gelatin, and citric acid until smooth and dissolved. Do not boil the mixture.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the CBD. You can adjust the amount of CBD according to your preference and dosage.
3. Carefully pour the gummy mix into the bear mold. You can use a dropper or a pitcher with a spout for easier filling.
4. Refrigerate the mold for at least an hour or until the gummies are firm.
5. Pop out the gummies from the mold and enjoy.